Laura's Reviews > The Scientist as Rebel

May 20, 12

bookshelves: history, terraforming, science
Recommended to Laura by: Star Trek
Read in May, 2012

I was startled recently by having three friends of mine respond with polite incomprehension to the name “Freeman Dyson.” I can’t remember not knowing who Freeman Dyson was. I may live in a world where, for one of the first times in my life my fandom is appreciated and my president is on the right side of history, but I still, apparently, live askew. I told the third one he was a “science hero.”

It also made me realize that I hadn’t actually read any books by Dyson. This may not have been the best one to start with. It’s a collection of previously published essays, some with postscripts, covering war and peace (from the perspective of a guy who did geek stuff for the RAF during WWII and a nuclear engineer who is deeply anguished about the bomb), history of science (from the perspective of a man who ran with Feynman, Von Neumann, Teller, and Oppenheimer, helped develop nuclear power plants and – why I can’t remember the first time I heard his name-- came up with the Dyson Sphere), and contemporary issues (from a guy who helped make modern history). It’s not an exploration of a big idea; it’s lots of pieces plucked out of context and put together. A good bus book, but not a deep read.

It did introduce me to the idea that we could engineer trees that could live on comets as part of a terraforming project, which is AWESOME. Also, that I live in a world where, once upon a time, the State of California could ask someone like Richard Feynman to review their high school science and math text books. Given what’s going on in textbooks these days, I felt a pang of envy.

I also came away with the feeling that Dyson as a deep streak of contrariness that we are lucky he found a non-destructive outlet for. In a weird way, he reminded me of a certain contrarian I used to work with (and perhaps will again), who once picked a week-long fight with an Englishman over the fact the UK had moved to the metric system.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scientist as Rebel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carlo (new)

Carlo I recently read Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman and the parts about being on the reviewing board were very interesting, and in a way, funny. And yes, I felt a pang of envy too :)

message 2: by Traveller (last edited Jun 08, 2012 01:17PM) (new)

Traveller Well, allow me to be contrarian in saying that I think the US is contrarian for not having moved on to the metric system.

So there!

Nice review, btw. :)

Laura Traveller wrote: "Well, allow me to be contrarian in saying that I think the US is contrarian for not have moved on to the metric system.

So there!

Nice review, btw. :)"

Snicker. Traveller, that particular co-worker yelled "tyranny!" at a former US Attorney General, who shortly thereafter fainted. Another co-worker had buttons made that say "we love hecklers." Another reason I love my job.

thanks!

Carlo, that's a great book!