Bodea's Reviews > Dark Companion

Great presentation ...check
Great writing ....check
Characters first ..... check
Solid plot .....check

Dark companion was a great read. I have to say, I love the presentation. The way each chapter starts with a quote (a.k.a. food for thought). The story starts on an intriguing note and the writing just pulls you in page by page. The plot is well paced and the characters are wonderful!

The summary of Dark Companion caught my interest, but I wasn't sure what to expect. The story starts of a confusing, mysterious note and things were gradually revealed in a manner that made me want to keep reading. I loved the tone of this novel. It was very gothic and otherworldly (in parts). The plot was simple, but well paced with a unique quality. I like the author's take on the subject matter here. I won't say too much so as not to spoil, but it was a fresh representation and not at all what I was expecting.

The characters really won me over. Jack was hilarious. I loved his dialogue. Jane, in all her practicality, was endearing. Even when she was being a little slow on the uptake. Mary Violet was unique and a lot of fun. I think all of the characters played a role in enriching the story and making it a lot of fun to read. The ending was good, sort of low key after all of the mystery and intrigue. Still, it felt appropriate and full of possibilities.

I'd definitely recommend this to readers looking for a well written, gothic novel. It's an imaginative story with a charm all it's own and intriguing characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Companion.

05/24/2012 page 50
14.0% "Jack's got jokes!"
05/30/2012 page 270
73.0% "I wasn't sure what to make of this after reading the summary (though it intrigued me). I'm surprised at how good it is. Silly me."
show 4 hidden updates…