Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > Couch

Couch by Benjamin Parzybok

Sep 19, 2008

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Stephanie by: Small Beer Press (yay!)
Recommended for: people who love quirky writing.
Read in September, 2008

COUCH, by Benjamin Parzybok, starts out as an oddly compelling novel. Parzybok is involved with www.ideacog.net, which has lots of cool stuff you should check out. After you read this review.
The couch in question may or may not be somehow magical. Three roommates in Portland, Oregon (in my own neighborhood, no less!) need to dispose of the couch. In bizarro fashion, they end up carrying it down 23rd Avenue, and to points beyond. In fact, VERY beyond.
The writing is somewhat brilliant at times. Unfortunately, I can’t quote anything, because the book hasn’t been released yet (Pub date is November 2008). There are great descriptions and interesting facts scattered throughout.
Two thirds of the way into the novel, the tone shifts from humorous to serious. I really loved the first part, but without giving anything away, I can see why the last part was needed.
This novel made me think, laugh, cringe, and question. It doesn’t get much better than that in what I look for in a book! Highly recommended!
~Stephanie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Couch.

08/21/2016 marked as: read