Grace's Reviews > The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

May 20, 12

bookshelves: fiction, for-fun, for-review, for-teacher-review, paranormal, young-adult
Read from May 17 to 20, 2012

Summary

Jamie and Mae came to Alan and Nick for help, but they find out that Jamie is doomed from the demon's marks that are on his skin. He is marked for possession. Alan, having a crush on Mae, gives her his protection from magic, then is marked himself. When they go to remove it, the demon mentions that he can take one of the levels of Jamie's mark, giving them both a chance at life.

The Demon's Lexicon is first in a series, but it reads as if it is a stand alone with no sequels. That being said the Demon's Lexicon is an introduction to a world about magicians, demons, humans and “The Market People” and how they interact with one another. This story is mostly told from the point of Nick, but in third person, omnipotent. So, we do get a good feeling for who Nick is and how he views the world, but not so much of how the other characters worldly views.

The story is medium paced with little bits of drama throughout the book.

Characters

There is Mae and Jamie. Mae is the older sister to Jamie. Then there are brothers Nick and Alan, and Alan is the older brother. There are also several others that make up a supporting cast. The characters don't mean much in themselves, but their actions are important to the storyline.

To be honest, I'm not even sure there was a real antagonist in this story. The teens were trying to hunt down a group of magicians to remove the demon's marks from themselves. Over all, the characters of this series are not bad, but I didn't really find them that memorable.We have the pretty girl that doesn't think she's pretty, the fantastic looking demon she has a crush on, and the secondary characters.

Thoughts

I suppose my thoughts are written out throughout, but this was a solid, middle of the road book. Not good, not bad. I'm sure a lot of people will love it, and and equal amount of people will hate it. The story line is decent, but the characters are somewhat bland, but other than that it has a lot of potential for a good tale.

The one thing I really like that the author did from this book to the next was change who the focus character was that we get to see all their emotions from. In the first book it's Nick, in the second it's primarily Mae. I wonder who the next book will have.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Lexicon.