Ashland Mystery Oregon's Reviews > The Ig Nobel Prizes

The Ig Nobel Prizes by Marc Abrahams

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

A ridiculous book with touches of value for the time spent leafing through it. I've had this book on my shelf for years and had to read it so that I could clear the shelf. Ok.

So. The Annals of Improbable Research.

The Self Perfuming Business Suit was invented by a Korean man to conceal his nocturnal adventures from his wife - he reveals himself by sweating and body odor. In the same chapter, Filter-Equipped Underwear was invented by a man for his wife to manage her flatulence.

In the Food for Thought chapter, notable were The Effects of Ale, Garlic, and Sour Cream on the Appetite of Leaches and The Sociology of Canadian Donut Shops.

Perhaps the most interesting was the Ig Nobel Consumer Engineering Prize awarded to Ron Popeil, "incessant inventor and perpetual pitchman of late night television, for redefining the industrial revoluation with such devices as the Veg-O-Matic, the Pocket Fisherman" and others. The whole family seems to be invention minded as another member invented the Chop-O-Matic. Feuds over rights divided the family. I confess, one late night or early morning, I did call an 800# and buy a Ro-Ta-To (not invented by the Popeils that I know of), which promptly failed after one use. So I'm (easily) taken (in) by these devices.

Oh, and The Evangelistic Index was pretty funny too, a calculation by the Southern Baptist Church of Alabama to estimate how many people would be going to hell. It was published in the September 5, 1993 Birmingham News. We must have been counted as we lived there during the census taking.

Totally weird book I have to say. Now I can give it away.

--Ashland Mystery

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ig Nobel Prizes.