Nicolo Yu's Reviews > The Absolute Sandman, Volume One

The Absolute Sandman, Volume One by Neil Gaiman

Sep 02, 2012

bookshelves: collected-comics, favorites
Read from May 20 to July 11, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I bought this oversized, slip cased hardcover back in 2011 during Komikon. The prospect of owning a first edition first volume tantalized me. I haven’t seen this volume in any of the larger branches of the main book store chain here in Philippines. It was always volume two onwards, never a complete set. The sweetener was I got this a slight discount which helped assuage the loss of frequent buyer points had I bought this from the book store chain.

The collected edition of the Sandman series have been reprinted countless time and in a myriad of languages, but this absolute edition contains the stories from the first three trade collections and a plethora of extras. The extra material makes this an indispensable addition to the collection of any fan of Gaiman’s Sandman work. It includes the original detailed pitch for Sandman, character design sketches and the script for the World Fantasy award winning issue nineteen. It was interesting how Gaiman constructed a pitch that became the series bible. He almost never wavered from his original intention and was able to put into print what he intended to publish.

An acclaimed series it was, it had its own share of industry awards like the Eisners, but its most distinguished accolade had to be the World Fantasy award for best short fiction for Sandman issue nineteen, an adaptation of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Gaiman and Charles Vess. It was and will be the only comic book to have won that award as rules were changed to prevent comic books from winning thereafter.

This collection includes two long arcs and a collection of short stories. It is in the short stories that Gaiman really shines. He used this short tales to build the backstory of Morpheus and how he has interacted with history and legend throughout the eons. Starting with the second arc, “The Doll’s House, he used these self-contained tales to give a breather to the regular artists in between issues or chapters. This is also reflected in the trade editions of Sandman, the collected arcs are interspersed with two short story collections.

This is a great book, especially for me. I am unabashedly a great admirer of Neil Gaiman. I have most of the Sandman trades, and this omnibus fills the holes I have. It is a pricey tome, but it is gorgeously designed with archival paper stock and bound in faux leather. If this is beyond one’s price range, the paperbacks are a great alternative. Sandman is one of those stories that every comic fan should read.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolute Sandman, Volume One.

05/20 page 76
12.0% "Finally opened my Absolute done with the first two issues. Sam Kieth's art is so visceral, I can't wait to see his Hell."
07/04 page 126
21.0% "As expected, Sam Kieth's Hell did not disappointed. His pages were packed with insane detail, cartoony yet dread inspiring at the same time."
07/04 page 469
77.0% "I skipped over the Doll's House and went over to the short stories."
02/16 marked as: read

message 1: by jerica (new)

jerica I found the Doll's House the most boring bit, but it was worth it in the end (when you're in volume 4). Everything in the Sandman universe has it's place :)

message 2: by jerica (new)

Nicolo Yu jerica wrote: "I found the Doll's House the most boring bit, but it was worth it in the end (when you're in volume 4). Everything in the Sandman universe has it's place :)"

Doll's House was mostly boring, but I did enjoy enjoy the short story in the middle of it, which introduced Nada and it actually set up a lot themes that would be replayed later on in the series.

message 4: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Nicolo! I loved almost all of the stories from the Sandman series, although there were a couple of slow stories The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country, The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections.

Nicolo Yu Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Nicolo! I loved almost all of the stories from the Sandman series, although there were a couple of slow stories The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country, The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Re..."

I really like Gaiman's short stories. And Neil Gaiman is going to do more of Sandman soon.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Nicolo wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Nicolo! I loved almost all of the stories from the Sandman series, although there were a couple of slow stories The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country, The Sandman, Vol. ..."

Oh he is? That's great to hear!!! I can't wait to see more Sandman work from him!