Garland Vance's Reviews > Soulful Spirituality: Becoming Fully Alive And Deeply Human

Soulful Spirituality by David G. Benner

May 29, 12

bookshelves: d-min-reading, 2012, kindle, spiritual-formation
Read from May 20 to 29, 2012

I have been a fan of David Benner for a while and was very excited to read this book about being fully human. Unfortunately, I found this book to be bi-polar--sometimes incredible and deeply insightful while other times confusing and annoying. Sometimes it was a 5 star book, while other times being a 1 star book. Benner's chapter on the connections between he body, sexuality and spirituality were so insightful. They might be worth the price of the book.
The rest of the book tried too hard to point people toward the Christian expressions of spiritual growth without sounding overtly Christian. Benner reveals in one chapter that his son recently declared that he did not follow in his dad's Christian beliefs. It made me wonder if Benner was searching for an expression of Britain spirituality that would leave room for his son's newfound beliefs.
While I would highly recommend Benner's writing most of the time, I would stay away from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulful Spirituality.