Jay's Reviews > The Prince of Frogtown

The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg

May 25, 12

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from May 20 to 24, 2012

Why do I enjoy Rick Bragg's autobiographical books? Half of the enjoyment is hearing the Southern way of speech. To me this feels familiar but not common, having grown up in the North with plenty of kin in the South, and Bragg adds a literary quality to the drawl. This comes across exceptionally well in the audio version of this book, read by the author. The Southernisms come across in the words he chooses as well as the stories. And the stories are the other half of the enjoyment of the book, stories of times not so far in the past, but so much different than today. His interludes about his stepson are also interesting, beyond their parental pride but in how they relate to the story of his father. But these are the weaker part of the story. I noticed he has all the elements from David Allen Coe's perfect country western song in the book, except there's more bus than train in the story... The audio read by Bragg is highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Frogtown.

05/20/2012
05/24/2012
60.0% "Really enjoying Bragg's narration of the audio of his story of his father."