Kristin's Reviews > Where the Lilies Bloom

Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera Cleaver

May 20, 12

bookshelves: family, girls, kids, reader-s-advisory, middle-grade, ya

This book just popped into my head randomly this morning. I read this as part of the school curriculum in 6th grade, back when teachers still taught "classics" at all costs in school. I remember liking it, but unfortunately it was so long ago that I can't say for sure what kind of lasting emotional and psychological impact it left on me, so that's why it gets three stars. Given all the current fascination in children's literature with books about poor rural areas, the depression and the dust bowl, it's probably good to have this on my radar again, even if I highly doubt it's in my library's collection. Since everybody just reads the Giver in middle school now, it would be nice to see books for that age group with a bit more scope than just reading stories about the horror of badly drawn, oppressive, future worlds. Sorry Lois Lowry. I like the new trend of incorporating current literature into schools, but it would be nice if it remained high quality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Lilies Bloom.