Jack Parker's Reviews > Good Night, Mr. Tom

M 50x66
May 20, 2012

liked it

Goodnight Mr. Tom Review

Goodnight Mr. Tom is the wonderful story of young Willie Beech. Evacuated from London, he is taken into care by grumpy, old Mister Tom. Willie is dirt poor and has been treated so badly by his mother that he hardly talks and is scared to make friends. However, under the care of kind Mister Tom, his personality blossoms and he changes into a normal child. Willie and Tom reply on each other for emotional support more and more as the story progresses. I like this book because it shows how powerful love is and how conflict can be overcome.

My favourite scene is when Willie calls Tom ‘Dad’ for the first time. Tom is very happy and as he lies down in his bed that night he is ‘overwhelmed by happiness’. This is my favourite scene because it symbolizes the love that Tom and Willie have built up and how the barriers of conflict can be broken down.

Goodnight Mr. Tom is a great tale that shows how conflict can be overcome. Willie and Tom are amazing characters that are morphed throughout the story. I like this book because it shows how conflict can be overcome and how powerful love is. I give this book three stars out of five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Night, Mr. Tom.

message 1: by Mr. Star (new)

Mr. Star The review was fine, a little on the brief side but the elements were there. A little more detail with your explanation of the story and why you liked it would have helped. Good job.