Nicola's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

May 29, 2014

bookshelves: 2012-books, challenge-books
Read in May, 2012

A dramatic and compelling story about scientific study, moral dilemma and human nature. A scientific study on mice leads to doctors believing that they can create a "real" person from mentally challenged patients. Charlie Gordon, happy in his simple life, would love to be smart so that people will like him. He is the perfect candidate for experimenting on - with no true family ties or friends to fight for him. In the beginning Charlie is in awe of Algernon, the mouse who has been made intelligent by Dr. Nemar. He wants to undergo the same changes, and becomes an eager participant. We watch Charlie grow from an illiterate and simple man to a genius who intimidates those around him. Throughout this growth Charlie forms a strong bond with Algernon, seeing parts of him in the mouse. He becomes disillusioned with the experts around him, and realizes that intelligence will not fix his life the way he imagined. Charles shows us how the opinions of those around you influence even the brightest of us. He also demonstrates that it is not what you know, but how you treat those around you that is so important.
This is a book I think everyone should read at least once. Keyes has used the seemingly impossible scientific procedure to demonstrate the the most basic tenant everyone should practice -- accept others for who they are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

Davytron Did you really mean to give this book one star? Your written review seems to indicate that you at the very least liked it.

Nicola No. It was originally posted with 5 stars. My review ratings seem to be changing on their own accord - this is not the first one I've seen with a different rating than I initially posted

Davytron Oh dear! I wonder if that's happened to me as well. Your rating makes more sense now. Hehe :-)

Nicola Thanks for pointing it out again. I need to look at my reviews every once in a while I guess.