Kristalia 's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Oct 05, 2015

bookshelves: me-likey-mucho, unique-or-different-story, 4-to-5-stars, reviewed, favorite-series, favorite-couple, be-my-heroes-please, recommended-to-me
Recommended to Kristalia by: Ariana
Read from October 14 to 15, 2012

Final rating: 4.75/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 4.5/5 stars

Across the universe is a wonderful book. I loved everything about it. Everything. Even though it is from first person view, i loved that it had alternating povs with Elder and Amy. The story was fast paced, with not so large chapters and it is a fast read.

I think that the idea was pretty much awesome. I love science fiction, and i had no idea how this was going to turn, but i wanted to see if this is worth my time. Clearly it was.

STORY :
____________________________________________

Godspeed is a ship with one simple task. Lead 100 people, frozen and in coma, to the new planet called Centauri-Earth. Journey is supposed to last 301 years in Earth time.

After the "plague" on the ship a long time ago, where 3/4 population of the crew died, a new system was created to control the panic and mutiny on the Godspeed. The system was called Eldest/Elder, and first Eldest proved that the system worked, therefore it passed to other generations. Eldest is the leader of the people on the ship, while Elder is the one who is to become Eldest when Eldest passes. There are always generations of 20 years apart, controlled by Seasons (which is time for the crew to "mate" and make new generation, and also to control incest cases). So, there is one Eldest in charge of whole crew at one time, and 2 Elders who are in charge of their own generations.
Elder/Eldest is supposed to be older than his generation, and the system worked pretty much fine, until now. The middle Elder, in charge of the generation of 20ties, is dead, and the only remaining Elder is Elder, teenager of 16 years. So. when he finds out about a chamber with frozen people, he discovers that there are things that Eldest kept from him.

So, when Amy, the nonessential "cargo"-passenger, is unplugged from the ice-50 years before they are supposed to land, she almost dies but is saved on time. This leads to discord because on the ship, crew is all the same in skin color, eyes, there are no religions,and they all speak one language. So, when they see a girl with red hair and green eyes, they are confused. And then, the killings of the frozen people begin.

CHARACTERS :

Amy :

She was ok. She was not damsel in distress, so i kinda liked her. She tried to figure out things and she was pretty much successful in that. Even though she appears to be strong, she isn't. She is afraid of the new world, afraid that their normal is so wrong from ours, that there are no people in love, that they are all strange, weird and to passive to care about things. She is alone, without her mother and father, who are close yet so far. She tries to figure out the mystery behind the ship.

“This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you.”

Elder :

Has a role to be the Eldest of new generations. He is a child of the crew, he is never to know his parents. As a future leader, he was supposed to be educated by Elder, but since Elder is dead, Eldest had to teach him all over again. Which lead to many things left unknown to him. He was not naive as i thought he would be. He noticed the strange things, he tried to figure them out, and he was so disappointed that Eldest never shared his information with him on time. He knew that there was something shady everywhere on the ship. He is attracted to Amy because she is so opposite to everything he has ever known. Her character, her hair, skin and eyes are something he never saw before and he starts to do everything in his power to help her investigate.

“Power isn’t control at all — power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn’t someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own.”

Eldest :

Even though some may call him a tyrant, i found his methods actually working. Even though it was wrong and was a wrong way to lead people, he actually tried to keep them all safe.

“This ship is built on secrets; it runs on secrets", he says, tiny droplets of spittle flying from his mouth to my face. "And if you keep asking about them, you'll see how far I'm willing to go to keep mine."

Harley :

I felt sad for him, artist in soul, he once knew what love was. He loved Elder and Amy, but there are some times when you just can't take all of the pain in and hold it inside.
SPOILERSSS: (view spoiler)

____________________________________________

OVERALL :
____________________________________________

There were many, many plot twists that i liked. I was shocked few times with things that i didn't expect, as well shocked as how good story actually is. I expected that this was going to be typical YA with more focus on love story than on story itself. Thankfully i was wrong. Everything was properly explained and that itself was a big + from me. One thing though, what's with cursing...I mean FREX . About those plot twists, i need to write them down. There will be some MAJOR spoilers ahead - concerning the end of the story: (it serves to be my reminder)
(view spoiler)

Anyway, i didn't find any faults, and i was blind for them to tell the truth. I was just sucked in the story.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

REVIEW(S) RELATED TO THIS BOOK:

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2)
Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
9 likes · flag

Quotes Kristalia Liked

Beth Revis
“This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you. ~ Amy”
Beth Revis, Across the Universe

10/14/2012 page 72
10/14/2012 page 174
41.0% "this is awesome *p*"

Ariana Hehee, so glad that you liked this one too. I am waiting for the last one now.. hurry up, Beth, hurry up!

Kristalia Oh yes, i just adored it ♥. It was so beautiful ♥♥♥ I am halfway through the second one, and i already want more :D

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Kristalia :)

message 4: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review K!!:))

Kristalia Dd wrote: "Great review K!!:))"

Blacky wrote: "Great review Kristalia :)"