Tracy Terry's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Jun 06, 12

Read in May, 2012

Alas I'd heard less about the book than the film but given that the film was by all accounts very good and books are generally better than the film surely this would be an excellent read.

On starting to read One Day I was worried it was going to be too similar to Starter For Ten (set in the 1980's, students, universities, a would they/wouldn't they romance) but thankfully this turned out not to be the case.

A unique, tender love story that chronicles the lives of two young people (and occasionally their family and friends) over the course of every July the 15th for 20 years, this is a book that once again had me reading until silly o'clock.

Feeling like the main characters (Emma and Dexter/'Dex') were really good friends of mine, I went through a range of emotions with them AND I wouldn't care but Dex wasn't even a particularly nice person but then isn't it these flaws that make the characters so believable?

Wonderfully well written, I've said it before and I think I may well say it again, it isn't so much the plot that makes these books by David Nicholls so compulsive, its the characters.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

Yvonne (Fiction Books) I am so pleased that I checked this one out, after you left your comment about 'Cinema Lumiere' and my guest post by author Hattie Holden Edmonds.
The premise is intriguing and the characters sound as though they come alive and off the page. I am not generally one for love stories, but this one is going on my list right now. Thanks for the great review.