Laura Morrigan's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Quotes Laura Liked

Laini Taylor
“Peace is more than the absence of war. Peace is accord. Harmony.”

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Happiness. It was the place where passion, with all its dazzle and drumbeat, met something softer: homecoming and safety and pure sunbeam comfort. It was all those things, intertwined with the heat and the thrill, and it was as bright within her as a swallowed star.”

Laini Taylor
“She moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.”

Laini Taylor
“Oh, Hell. Must. Mate. Immediately.”

Laini Taylor
“But he is pretty. God, I hope he's not an asshole. Do you think there's any chance he's both non-orifice and single? I mean, seriously. What are the chances?”

Laini Taylor
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”

Laini Taylor
“Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It’s why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

Laini Taylor
“The streets of Prague were a fantasia scarcely touched by the twenty-first century—or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter. It was a city of alchemists and dreamers, its medieval cobbles once trod by golems, mystics, invading armies. Tall houses glowed goldenrod and carmine and eggshell blue, embellished with Rococo plasterwork and capped in roofs of uniform red. Baroque cupolas were the soft green of antique copper, and Gothic steeples stood ready to impale fallen angels. The wind carried the memory of magic, revolution, violins, and the cobbled lanes meandered like creeks. Thugs wore Motzart wigs and pushed chamber music on street corners, and marionettes hung in windows, making the whole city seem like a theater with unseen puppeteers crouched behind velvet.”

Laini Taylor
“She knocked and waited, because when the door was opened from within, it had the potential to lead someplace quite different.”

Laini Taylor
“It wasn’t like in the storybooks. No witches lurked at crossroads disguised as crones, waiting to reward travelers who shared their bread. Genies didn’t burst from lamps, and talking fish didn’t bargain for their lives. In all the world, there was only one place humans could get wishes: Brimstone’s shop. And there was only one currency he accepted. It wasn’t gold, or riddles, or kindness, or any other fairy-tale nonsense, and no, it wasn’t souls, either. It was weirder than any of that. It was teeth.”

Laini Taylor
“A bruxis. That was the one wish more powerful than a gavriel, and its trade value was singular: The only way to purchase one was with one’s own teeth. All of them, self-extracted.”

Laini Taylor
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”

Laini Taylor
“...magic was ugly—-a hard bargain with the universe, a calculus of pain.”

Laini Taylor
“So violent. You want to mug and tase everybody these days."
"I do," Zuzana agreed. "I swear I hate more poeple every day. Everyone annoys me. If I'm like this now, what am I going to be like when I'm old?"
"You'll be the mean old biddy who fires a BB gun at kids from her balcony."
"Nah. BBs just rile 'em up. More like a crossbow. Or a bazooka.”

Laini Taylor
“Better to be the cat gazing coolly down from a high wall, its expression inscrutable. The cat that shunned petting, that needed no one. Why couldn't she be that cat?”

Laini Taylor
“Creamy and leggy, with long azure hair and the eyes of a silent-movie star, she moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.”

Laini Taylor
“Karou was mysterious. She had no apparent family, she never talked about herself, and she was expert at evading questions--for all that her friends knew of her background, she might have sprung whole from the head of Zeus. And she was endlessly surprising. Her pockets were always spilling out curious things: ancient bronze coins, teeth, tiny jade tigers no bigger than her thumbnail. She might reveal, while haggling for sunglasses with an African street vendor, that she spoke fluent Yoruba. Once, Kaz had undressed her to discover a knife hidden in her boot. There was the matter of her being impossible to scare and, of course, there were the scars on her abdomen: three shiny divots that could only have been made by bullets.”

05/20/2012 page 26
6.0% "Poison kitchen sounds like my ideal place! Also bravo to Zuzana for the taser suggestion! I second that!"
05/20/2012 page 42
10.0% "Talk about cool parents, even if he is a demon!"
05/20/2012 page 42
10.0% "ane even if he does make her go to creepy illegal auctions! her life is so exciting!"
05/21/2012 page 276
64.0% "Beauty does not mean good, strange does not mean evil. Questioning colonialism. choices."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie sounds like I need top read this one. 3 of my GR friends have given it 5 stars, and that's a fine recommendation.