B. Zedan's Reviews > War for the Oaks

War for the Oaks by Emma Bull

Oct 10, 08

bookshelves: tor-downloads
Recommended for: Folks who don't mind reading a romance novel disguised as a modern fantasy tale
Read in September, 2008

Wow. So, this was one of those books that you moderately enjoy while reading and then, looking back (especially reading City of Roses after, bringing things sharply into comparison), you're like "been there, read about mortals dragged into faerie affairs and totally knew she'd fall for that guy."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War for the Oaks.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Fagerlund Although in its defense, this book did basically invent the Thing That It Is. I think reading it is kind of like, oh, watching Citizen Kane or something: it was innovative as hell, but most of what it owned has since been stolen and put to more interesting uses, and it's hard to dissociate yourself far enough from the intervening history to appreciate it for what it was.

But yes, I, too, totally prefer the more modern variations on the theme. (Have you read Blood and Iron yet?)

B. Zedan Ooh, no, I haven't.

I also think I'm terribly over-sensitive to the overly obvious paths of fantasy romance. Tor had quite a few of them when they were doing the regular free book thing.

And I will say this as well: Citizen Kane, though it was the progenitor of quite a few tropes, is still a strong movie. This book is not.