Brenda's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

I have always love Freya Littledale's Snow Child. I have had several copies in my classroom over the years. They are obviously loved and well read. When I read reviews of this book I was immediately intrigued and I was not disappointed. In 1920 Jack and Mabel leave their comfortable town life in Pennsylvania to homestead in Alaska. It is hard work to clear and farm the land. It is hard to sit with your grief in the solitary quiet of the wilderness and not let it over take your heart, your mind, your life. And then out of the first snow a child appears...is she magic?...is she real?

The story is a wonderful mix of fairytale magic and the stunning challenges of the Alaskan wilderness. How can it be tamed? Should it be tamed? The work of living off the land and surviving with your wit with the help of your few neighbors is a story of courage, determination and love. The appreciation for life given so that life can remain, the wonder of knowing the land and sharing it well and the recognition of interconnectedness of all things in the world is something that will stay with me as I think about the beauty and complexity of living well that is shared through this wonderful story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.