Tracy's Reviews > Rape Girl

May 20, 12

bookshelves: ya, ya-realistic-fiction, netgalley, arc, 2012
Read from May 19 to 20, 2012

From Netgalley.

This was a solid, YA problem novel. It is not overly explicit, and would make a good book for discussion. The rape victim's situation and reactions seem real and realistic, as does her mother's, sister's, and brother's reactions. Sadly, I think her friend's reaction, accusing her of lying about the rape, is probably not unrealistic either.

I do hope that the school's response to the problem of having victim and rapist in class together was not realistic. The principal was an infuriating character. I hope that an educator today would have a better understanding of rape and would not try to bring the two together to talk.

I was a little confused by the setting of the novel. Was the fact that it took place in Utah significant? Although the Mormon culture around the protagonist was alluded to, it wasn't really explored. I actually thought that would have made for a more interesting story - how being an outsider in a very conservative culture impacted the decisions and actions of the major characters, including the former best friend and the new Spanish-speaking friend.

Overall, this was a good read, but perhaps not as good as it could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape Girl.

Tillit I shared your confusion over the Mormon angle. The book opens with the question "Do mormons wear make-up" or something, and I wondered for the rest of the book why she asked the question, or what Mormons had to do with the plot. Okay, Adam wanted to become a missionary, but I don't feel that justifies bringing Mormons into the other parts of the story.