Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)'s Reviews > The Red Necklace

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: awesome-main-character, historical-fiction
Read from June 14 to 15, 2012

Tom Hiddleston read this.

Tom fucking Hiddleston read this.

I...must listen to this audiobook.

He could read me a cookbook and I'd happily and joyously listen to it.

EDIT: Alas, I couldn't find the UK audiobook, but I'm reading it anyway. If anyone knows of somewhere I can listen to it, please let me know!

EDIT AGAIN My good friend Sei gave me a link to the audiobook, and now I'm listening and reading it at the same time. :)

Actual Review

Well, it was okay. I love historical fiction, but I didn't exactly care for The Red Necklace.

In an old theater in 1789, France, a boy named Yann Margoza had a unique talent for throwing his voice and reading people's minds. He works with two magicians, one of whom a dwarf that raised him as his own.
One night, they are invited to perform in front of the Marque de Villeduval and Count Kalliovsky at the marques's home. That is the night Topolain, the magician, is murdered.
Tetu (the dwarf) and Yann are next if they don't escape from the house and France immediately. Helping them get away is a young girl named Sido, the marques lonely daughter.
Once out of France, Yann keeps the girl in his thoughts while learning English in London.
Two years later, when news that Sido is being forced to marry the evil Count Kalliovski in order to pay off the marques's dept, Yann is determined to rescue her. But will the French Revolution and it's growing bloodbath get to her first?

Tom Hiddleston is a magnificent narrater, literally the best I've ever heard, but I ended up reading the actual book because it was faster.
I liked it, but it lost my attention in multiple areas and I had to force myself to read onward.
It was interesting reading about the French revolution and all of the chaos and death it caused, because I hardly knew anything about it before reading this book.

I must admit, I was a bit taken with Yann. He was smart, quick-witted, charming, and everything you should want in a young man. Sido, however, I found annoying. I didn't care for her in the first half, but in the second half, I wanted to smack some sense into her. Why didn't she leave her horrible father when Yann asked to take her to London? She seriously thought she'd be no better than the 'savages' in the prison if she left him.
The marques ignored her for years and was about to sell her off into marriage with an old man to save his own ass, and yet she still wouldn't 'abandon' him?

description

Another thing that was a bit frustrating was the constant switch of perspectives. It was mostly just Sido and Yann, but it would go to the Count, the marque, Aulard, etc. I wished Gardner had simply stuck to Yann and Sido.

It was a decent book but I probably won't pick up the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Necklace.

06/14/2012 page 172
46.0% "description"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vanessa <3 Have fun!

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Sei wrote: "<3 Have fun!"

Thanks again! ^.^

Vanessa Kat (Loki's Loyal Handmaiden) wrote: "Sei wrote: "

Thanks again! ^.^"

You're very welcome. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

WHAT. LINK.

message 6: by Katharyn (new)

Katharyn lol how did you find out he read it? :)

message 7: by Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Katharyn wrote: "lol how did you find out he read it? :)"

*shrugs* Just found it somewhere. I wikipediad him. :D

message 8: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie This is kind of how I feel about the book too. I read it because, you know, TOM HIDDLESTON, but overall the book was boring to me.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Katie wrote: "This is kind of how I feel about the book too. I read it because, you know, TOM HIDDLESTON, but overall the book was boring to me."

*fistbump* True dat. It was interesting at some points, but overall was kind of boring.

Vanessa Kat (Loki's Loyal Handmaiden) wrote: "Katie wrote: "This is kind of how I feel about the book too. I read it because, you know, TOM HIDDLESTON, but overall the book was boring to me."

*fistbump* True dat. It was interesting at some po..."

I dunno, I had the same problem. It's wonderfully written and the Hiddles definitely helps sweeten the experience, but it did lose points for how long the story took to go somewhere and for the main story to kick in, you know?

message 11: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Yeah. Plus, I never thought the world made much sense. You have the French Revolution, but then you also have magic and automatons, and it's never really explained.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Sei wrote: "Kat (Loki's Loyal Handmaiden) wrote: "Katie wrote: "This is kind of how I feel about the book too. I read it because, you know, TOM HIDDLESTON, but overall the book was boring to me."

*fistbump* T..."

Uh-huh, like how it took two years for Sido and Yann to finally meet again? What was Sido doing for those years, just stuck in her room the whole time? I feel she probably could have made it shorter too.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Katie wrote: "Yeah. Plus, I never thought the world made much sense. You have the French Revolution, but then you also have magic and automatons, and it's never really explained."

Well, automatons were actually real in France for a while. Ever read The Invention of Hugo Capret? That takes place during the 1920's in France and it's about an automaton.
And the magic thing had to do with the Gypsies. I don't know much about it, but Gypsies were considered magical and to have magical powers. I think that's where that came from.

Steph Even though I've already read this, I'm going to listen to it just for Tom Hiddleston's voice.

message 16: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star

Em Is there more than one audiobook? There's a UK edition??

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Well, there's the American version, and the UK version. The UK version is the one with Tom Hiddleston.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Katja (The Insane Mutant Cat) wrote: "Yay! Here's the link to the site.

ahhh thank you! I needed a new audio book to listen to while I studied... and this one is read by Tom Hiddleston :D greatest thing ever.

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Megan wrote: "Katja (The Insane Mutant Cat) wrote: "Yay! Here's the link to the site.

ahhh thank you! I needed a new audio book to l..."

You're very welcome. :)

message 20: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star

Em I stopped after Disc 2 and I feel so bad for not being able to finish it. I love Hiddleston's voice, but the book was SO boring to me!

message 21: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Feline You're right. This book is about nothing

message 22: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Hodgson I tunes has tom hiddleston reading the book its fantastic. or Fish Pond online store

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Tom could read the phone book and it would still be the sexiest thing I've ever heard ;)

message 24: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Long I listened to the first disc on an airplane and fell asleep listening to hiddleston narrate so I ended up reading the book- it was good

Hannah You must tell us of this audiobook, so I can hear him!!!!

Vanessa Hannah wrote: "You must tell us of this audiobook, so I can hear him!!!!"

Dolunay I have just started to listen this book because of Tom, as you can guess, *cause i'm burdened with this glorious man* anyway, he is utterly perfect narrating all those different characters! The story sounds interesting so far.. They should make Tom read more books!

Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) Dolunay wrote: "I have just started to listen this book because of Tom, as you can guess, *cause i'm burdened with this glorious man* anyway, he is utterly perfect narrating all those different characters! The sto..."

They should! Only if he wanted to, of course. And I agree, he voices all of the different characters and their personalities very well. Professional voice actors sometimes can't even get that right.

Dolunay Yes, of course! I should say 'they should offer him' and a little insist maybe :D Anyway, so far his voice of Count Kalliovski is my favourite! That was really staggering!! My biggest dilemma is I want to listen it all day but to listen forever!

message 30: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy Valentin Where can i download the audiobook of this?

Dolunay Ivy wrote: "Where can i download the audiobook of this?"

I think this link may help you, http://tomhiddleston-masterpost.tumbl...

message 32: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy Valentin Thank you

message 33: by Abigail (new) - added it

Abigail Sprague I'd like the audio book for that. Hell, I'd like to read the book except it seems the only way I can get it is online.

message 34: by Shashi (new) - added it

Shashi I'm listening to Tom Hiddleston reading this! THANK YOU for your comment. That's how I found out about it. You have made my day! :)