Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

May 19, 2012

Read from May 19 to June 03, 2012

The Good Stuff
•This book should come with a warning about reading in public - You will snort, people will stare - be prepared -- also might be a good idea to pee before reading as well
•I can't tell you the last time I enjoyed a book as much as this one -- I was constantly reading passages out loud to my hubby (And btw, the hubby hates books and didn't stop me --so you know it had to be good)
•I felt a connection with her on many occasions while reading
•Admire her for talking about mental illness - it makes a huge difference to people understanding and accepting. She goes into some very personal stories and anyone who has the balls to talk about this stuff is up there on my hero list
•Loved her writing style -- it was like she was just shooting the shit with you (and quite frankly it sorta reminded me of the way I talk sometimes -- so well - you get the picture - I feel a connection with her)
•Absolutely adore the cover (not to mention the praise on the back which is hilarious)
•The Chapter on drugs is just plain hilarious (again must emphasize be warned you will laugh - be careful where you read
•Her chapter on her miscarriages/stillbirth is painful and honest and so very funny at times (I know but trust me read it)
•I cannot tell you how much you will enjoy her diary from her career in HR
•Ok I am in New York and have consumed a few Mojito's so I will end this by just saying -- one of my favorite books of the year and I will be buying all my sister in laws a copy y'all (now off to bed I have to get up at 6:00 am)

The Not So Good Stuff
•Do you have any idea how frickin hard it was to pick only three quotes to include in this review -- I am not good at making decisions people
•Read this on the TTC & GO Transit and I was laughing so hard (and yes some undignified snorting) that people were staring -- and I don't like that kind of attention (well unless it was from some hot nerdy guy than I really wouldn't care, just some hot nerdy guy would be looking at me)
•BTW, Jenny, I may just hug you at BEA - so FYI
•Love her totally inappropriate (not to me) and TMI stories & if you know me, you will understand

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"But what did worry us was the fact that the hailstorm had occurred only seconds after we'd heard Grandlibby praying in the house. It was disconcerting. Did my grandmother have some kind of direct line to God? Had all those years of funneling money to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker finally paid off? We weren't sure, but felt it was better not to chance it. I placed the Playboy back on top of the neighbors trash can, feeling that if we could no longer partake in its wonder, surely the next dumpster divers would appreciate my generosity and charity, qualities I felt sure God would admire."

"When Mrs Johnson handed her my recent book report on Pet Semetary, my mom wrinkled her forehead with concern and disapproval. "Oh, I see," she said disappointingly, as she turned to me. "You spelled 'cemetery' wrong." Then I explained that Stephen King had spelled it that way on purpose, and she nodded, saying, "Ah. Well, good enough for me." My teacher seemed a bit flustered, but eventually the principal reminded her that my family had been responsible for the Great Turkey Shit-Off of 1983, and she seemed to realize that her intervention was futile, and gave up without feeling too guilty, because it was pretty obvious there was no way of turning me into a "normal" third grader. And I felt relieved for her."

"Then we all laugh and order another round and toast how great it is to have fun, gay male friends. Hint: It's awesome. Go find some right now. Gay people are just like you and me, except better. Except for the ones who are boring, or are assholes. Avoid them. "

Who Should/Shouldn't Read
•This is soooo not for the prudish, sensitive (in other words seriously boring people) or those uncomfortable with TMI
•Must read for bloggers
•Basically unless you are a prude or are dull as dishwater you will enjoy it -- go buy it (so looking forward to hearing her talk tomorrow at the blogger convention)

5 Dewey's

I purchased this on recommendation from my go to Non-Fiction guy the ever charming Jeremy Cammy (@indigogreenroom)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

05/22/2012 page 150