sj's Reviews > Counter-Clock World

Counter-Clock World by Philip K. Dick

May 19, 2012

bookshelves: end-of-the-world-challenge, the-motherfucking-future
Read from December 16 to 18, 2012

Counter-Clock World is weird because of how very NOT weird it is. That probably won't make a whole lot of sense if you're not familiar with a lot of what PKD was cranking out in the 60s. This was during his most prolific period as an author (more than half of his 44 novels were published between 1960-1969), and the majority of those books feature what I'm going to call the Dick Click (for lack of a better term).

You start reading almost any novel by Dick and for the first 50-100 pages you're pretty confused with no idea WTF you're reading or why you're digging it so much. Nothing seems to make much sense, and you're half-tempted to just give up already.

You keep going, though, because there's just something keeping you reading. Then it happens. The Dick Click (I swear, not a euphemism). It's like something in your brain finally fits all of the fucking pieces together and there's this "A-HA!" moment. Then you feel kind of stupid for not putting it all together sooner, but it makes you want to start the whole damn book all over again just so that you can marvel at how well he managed to fit everything together.

I think that might be the most redundant paragraph I've ever written. Just go with it, I'm too lazy to re-write.

Counter-Clock World does not contain a Dick Click. It's one of the most straightforward books I've read by him. Yes, it took a few chapters to fully grasp the logistics of a world where time has essentially begun to run backwards (disgorging of food is a private affair, men slather on whiskers before leaving the house in the morning, the dead return to life and age in reverse until they find an open womb and pregnancy is ended with sex), but once I got that, there was no problem.

Is it my new favourite? NO! But still, it's worth a read and if you're already a fan, I think you should check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counter-Clock World.

12/16/2012 page 1
0.0% "Happy Birthday, PKD."
12/17/2012 page 158
72.0% "Hee, a Tolkien reference. Was not expecting that."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I've only read one Dick book (heh . . . sorry), and that's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I remember really liking, but it's been a while. So my questions is, since 44 books is a huge number, what books of his should I read if I decide that I'm Dick-curious (heh . . . sorry again)? I have The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch on my list because I got it off some Best Of list a couple of years ago, but beyond that? Totally overwhelmed by Dick.

I'm so sorry. It just never stops being funny.

message 2: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars

sj IT'S SO FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK THAT!

Because I totally just made a flowchart about this very subject which I will be posting on my blog tomorrow!

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley NICE.

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Sherrod One of the greatest public services the web has ever provided.

message 5: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars

sj Ashley, I'll make sure you get the link.

Kate, <3

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley No need, just subscribed to your blog :) Thanks, though!

message 7: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars

sj Aw, yay! I <3 new subscribers!

message 8: by Nerija (new)

Nerija I bet you love finding fun new phrases in which to use PKD's name. Thank you - I'll probably be giggling randomly at work today because of "Dick Click" ;)

message 9: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars

sj It was the only way I could put it!

message 10: by Nerija (new)

Nerija It really is a fantastic phrase.