Bill Kerwin's Reviews > The Imago Sequence and Other Stories

The Imago Sequence and Other Stories by Laird Barron

Nov 14, 2016

bookshelves: short-stories
Read in April, 2012

There is a great deal about Laird Barron's writing that I like very much. Unlike Stephen King (whose descriptive passages often resemble an exhaustive catalog of the contents of someone's pockets or purse), Barron has a poet's eye for detail and the knack for choosing the right phrase in order to fix a disgusting or disturbing detail in the reader's mind. But sometimes he also allows himself--something King would never do--to be distracted from the essential narrative by his own evocative details and phrases.

When the overwhelming preponderance of such details lead to the heart of the story--as they do in "Old Virginia," "Shiva, Open Your Eye," "Hallucigenia," and "The Imago Sequence"--the result is a superb contemporary horror story, atmospheric and chilling; when they don't, the result is atmospheric, and occasionally chilling, but also puzzling and unfocused.

All of these stories are worth reading, however, and the best are superb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imago Sequence and Other Stories.

03/03/2016 marked as: read

Jason I feel the same way about King. Getting through the laundry lists and overwriting can be tough with him, who otherwise is often quite engrossing.

Bill  Kerwin Jason wrote: "I feel the same way about King. Getting through the laundry lists and overwriting can be tough with him, who otherwise is often quite engrossing."

Yes! The man plans his chapters--especially those cliff-hanger endings!--better than anyone in the business. But he writes some of the flattest sentences I've ever read.

Droydicus Malojan King is also almost congenitally incapable of finishing a book! best read in the short story form IMHO.

Have you read 'the light is the darkness'? Horror sci fi with a twist of Burroughs. In fact the only thing from Barron that has disappointed was 'The croning'. he put a bit too much meat on the bones with that one.

Robert Spencer I think you have summed it up nicely! My edition had a kind of bonus story, "Hour of the Cyclops", which was actually one of the strongest stories. I did like "Procession of the Black Sloth" as well, although it was a bit confusing (was he in hell???)