Christiana's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

May 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-business, teen-fic, high-school, has-sexy-times, new-adult
Read from May 19 to 23, 2012

I think there is so much to talk about in this book! I loved Bitterblue even more than I did when I met her in Graceling. I connected with Bitterblue more than I connected with Katsa and I connected with her immediately. I actually feel Bitterblue's pain through a lot of this book.

What I love about Cashore's writing is I feel like I get to watch these characters grow up and learn and come into their own. Not many writers can write characters that are so easy to root for. Basically, everything that comes up in this book plays out in a way that I feel it had to, even if I didn't love that it played out that way. Cashore does such a great job explaining and building her world (I love a good map/character list) and showing her work, that I can't help but be on board with the way Bitterblue's story plays out. I also liked being able to hear how Katsa and Po's relationship deal was working out in practice.

Although I think this book left the characters wide open for a sequel. And it would be a sequel I would actually read, which is rare these days. SO THERE'S THAT. I am a bad reader and actually skipped Fire to go straight to Bitterblue. This was not a big deal. I had a tiny bit of confusion, but mostly because I was meeting a bunch of characters at once and didn't know there back story. But what I'm saying is it can be done. You don't have to read Fire to enjoy Bitterblue, in case you were curious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.