Krom's Reviews > Cordelia's Honor

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Sep 19, 08

** spoiler alert ** Cordelia's Honor is the beginning of the Vorkosigan Saga, though it should be noted these books were not the first books in that saga to be published, but this is the beginning of the story. This book focuses on the parents (Cordelia and Aral) of the principle character to come - their son Miles. "Cordelia's Honor" actually bundles two previously published works together so the complete story is presented in one volume. The second part, "Barrayar", won a Hugo in 1991 (Bujold is the only person to tie Heinlen with four Hugo awards). Surprisingly, I preferred the first half of the compilation more than the Hugo winning second half.

Despite characters set in a military-oriented aristocracy of space-faring world powers, there are no epic space battles of note told in the blow-by-blow style of Weber or David Drake in his "Hammer's Slammers" series. Conflict, both socio-political and interpersonal tends to happen at close quarters so the story really turns on its character and the book lands pretty squarely in the Space Opera genre.

The title character, Cordelia, is a refreshing change as a female point-of-view, and, unlike Weber with Honor Harrington, Bujold seems to stay true to her initial presentation of her. The dialog is snappy, the action quick, the emotions convincing, the world colorful. The stunning success of Cordelia's improvisational efforts require the suspension of some disbelief, but the ride is exciting none-the-less as Bujold moves so quickly I found myself breathlessly turning pages.

I'm looking forward to further installments in the series, and I hope the best is yet to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cordelia's Honor.