Beverly Diehl's Reviews > Bond Girl

Bond Girl by Erin Duffy

May 19, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-womens-fiction
Read in May, 2012

3 1/2 Stars. The author has a very engaging voice, and the trip through the workplace from hell to the financial meltdown was interesting.

What I found missing was the personal. Alex chooses to work on Wall Street because her father does, and she has wanted to do with since she was a little girl. But when she does, actually, get a job on Wall Street, we don't see her communicating with or even thinking about her father very much.

When she strikes up a workplace romance, I wasn't even sure that she had. She's out for drinks and flirting with a co-worker (something that could cost her her job). Next she's waking up in his bed - did she pass out, or did they have sex? As you continue reading, yes, apparently she and said co-worker are "hooking up" and she is becoming emotionally involved, but there is no THERE there. We don't see them kissing, having sex, or her daydreaming about him very much, just some innocuous emails.

Since we already know about the financial meltdown, that wasn't a surprise, and since I wasn't emotionally invested in Alex's romance, the ending to that doesn't really pay off, either. I would certainly read another book by this author, but hope she'll include some closer looks inside her character's heart.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bond Girl.