Jaz's Reviews > Emily of New Moon

Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

Dec 25, 12

Read from June 05 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

If you havent read any of the Anne books some of my references may be bewildering (: My review is also rambling..

I only found out about L. M. Montgomery's other books a few weeks ago and had a crazy dance of joy because I love all of the Anne series.
I finished reading this and realised what a different feeling this book gave me than the Anne series.

Its a queer mixture of excitement/worry...but I am glad I read it. I don't think I can love this at the moment until I read it a few times over and also the sequels.. I think the best word to describe what I feel is uncomfortable? Usually If I really love a book Ill feel happy and satisfied. I really wanted to enjoy this book.
The uncomfortable feeling may also have to do with the fact I just read the quick wiki of the sequels so I know a shot description of what already happens next...

Anyway moving on.. Emily is apart from having a big imagination like Anne and similar circumstances, a completely different character and temperament than Anne. She seems more stronger in the sense her story has a harsher slant to it and the things she's had to deal with make her appear more stronger. I can't truthfully say this story is more 'realistic' than Anne's because both have 'realistic' aspects of life, its just this has a darker richer tone which makes you appreciate the beauty while mourn harder in the sad parts.
And Emily doesn't have a mellowing older relative like Marilla, Elizabeth even in the last page is still her same old self though admitting to like Emily, not changing her ways one bit, which I guess is the way if life really.

Also one thing that bothers me is the of Emily's companions, I've never got a real fix on Teddy (her supposed future love - spoiler alert!), the descriptions of Perry & Ilse are vivid for me but Teddy his character apart from his mother's jealousy, his pipers call and artistic talent, is an parsonality that is elusive and almost non-existent to me. WHY?! Its weird, there not real quirk or picture that makes him real to me the way ANY of the characters do. I wonder who Montgomery took his character from in real life and if there is a reason she's suppressing his character. Or is it just me and I'm imagining things?

Also Dean Priest. Not sure how to feel about that..also now that I know what happens in the other books.

I feel like this series will leave me with more mixed and complicated feeling, rather than the happy sigh I give when Ive finished the adventures with Anne.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily of New Moon.