Kevin's Reviews > Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Seven Languages in Seven Weeks by Bruce A. Tate

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: computer
Read from June 12 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

Really great read: I'm definitely interested in learning some more about Prolog and Haskell, but it was also interesting to see different methods of solving problems with computer languages.

I think there may have been some room for an additional "day" for each language, perhaps if only to look at some bigger examples of these languages in use in the wild. It would have also been interesting to do a quick section on other languages that are "similar" (for example, what is the relationship between Io and JavaScript?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Languages in Seven Weeks.

06/12/2012 page 60
18.0% "Just finished language 1: Ruby! Having a "missing_method" option is inspired (so inspired that it appeared in .NET 4) -- using it to convert roman numerals to number is pretty cool.

The language feels like it would be great for scripting, and probably safer than PHP; can't imagine writing a large web app in it, though."
06/12/2012 page 81
25.0% "Made it through Io -- I think I'll stick with JavaScript :).

I guess it could be useful for some DSLs (great tease/example in the book) -- but, being able to "break" the language?! Not cool."
06/18/2012 page 121
37.0% "Another, another language: this time was Prolog.

Prolog is definitely the coolest language I've encountered in this book -- really hope I can find a real world use for it (or a language like it).

Sudoku solver in 20 lines? Amazing."
06/20/2012 page 229
70.0% "Made it through Scala (not sure if the book didn't do it justice, but I honestly don't see the point -- C# with the F# libraries is a more compelling story, in my opinion) and Erlang (seemed pretty cool).

Just getting started on Clojure -- seems a bit more tenable than Lisp so far."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ruby is the only useful one to know on that archaic list of languages. And only marginally useful!

Kevin I doubt I'll use any of them -- just interesting to see different approaches to solving the same problem.