PointyEars42's Reviews > One Con Glory

One Con Glory by Sarah Kuhn

May 27, 2012

bookshelves: make-a-movie-of-it, must-read-again, hero-isnt-an-alpha-dickhead

Years Decades of Star Trek, and this little novella is what finally made me notice that I, like the protagonist, consider The Prime Directive to be a completely valid philosophy to apply to most of the life I've discovered on this planet. Thank you Sarah Kuhn for giving such a quirky, interesting, entertaining voice to mildly misanthropic/introverted geek-ish women everywhere. And for giving her a hot male lead, because every real world geek-guy I've ever know would rather have an FHM model on his arm that a girlfriend who understands what he's talking about. Erm, sorry, back to One Con Glory...

Despite being an avid science fiction/fantasy reader and watcher, I never even developed an interest in playing Pac Man, let alone anything more complicated, so I've never connected with this need to turn it all into an action movie (Can I shoot it? Can I shag it? Can I blow shit up and steal that bag of gold?). Novels that dip into geekdom tend to be so focused on the game-players viewpoint that its incredibly refreshing to see something (with romance too!) set in this environment and for it to feature a con-going protagonist who doesn't spend all weekend with a controller in her hand. The list of reasons why I adore Julie is really, really long!

I wish the book had been 200-400 pages longer so that the story and characters could have been fleshed out properly. What Sarah Kuhn has done with 100 pages is delightful and deserves room to grow, and any criticisms I have always boil down to the fact that at this short length it has no choice but to read like a movie script and not a novel. It's also the first time a switch in formats in a book (here it's Julie's blog vs Julie's 1st person voice) hasn't felt like the author was trying too hard.

I also think One Con Glory is an elaborate non-fandom-specific-RPS-Mary-Sue-fanfic, but that's a compliment in my world. Don't pretend you wouldn't love to be locked in a room with the cast of Firefly. Don't pretend you don't have a written list of things you'd do to/with them. With illustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Con Glory.

07/06/2016 marked as: read