Becky's Reviews > Washington: The Indispensable Man

Washington by James Thomas Flexner

May 08, 09

bookshelves: autos-bios-memoirs, favorites
Read in January, 2002, read count: 1

I'm embarrassed to admit the limited knowledge I had of George Washington prior to reading this book. The vision of a nostalgic, white haired man and the memory of my playing the part of Martha Washington in elementary school were about the extent of it. Thank goodness I chose this book to get to know him. Let's just say I cried upon finishing the last page. I felt extreme guilt over having thought of our 1st president as only a sweet looking, quiet old man, when in reality he was a man of great presence & strength. He had risked his life numerous times while dodging bullets in battle and had kept our country together psychologically during its most critical moments of formation. Many times he could have given up out of concern for his own safety, or due to lack of support in the way of supplies, or because he had already done enough; but he never did. He had tremendous tenacity and an overwhelming calmness about him which was just what was needed at the time. This book did an excellent job in conveying the depth of his character and the extent of what he did for our country.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Washington.