Hal Bodner's Reviews > Unspeakable Horror: From the Shadows of the Closet

Unspeakable Horror by Vince A. Liaguno

1953754
May 19, 2012

Read in January, 2008

This is possibly one of the best anthologies I've ever read. True, there are some few selections which are not up to the outstanding level of the rest, but even those few would stand out amongst less skilled company. Unlike in many other anthologies where the editors may sacrifice theme in favor of an individual author's name value, Liaguno and Helder almost universally stick to their theme. The one exception is a lovely story by Sarah Langan which, while extraordinary, does not quite fit into the anthology's overall theme and seems more of a sci fi/fantasy piece than a work of traditional horror.

The stand out story for me was clearly "Epistle of the Sleeping Beauty" by Vander Laenen, quite possibly the most brilliant horror short story I have ever read. If for no other reason, reading this story is worth picking up a copy of the anthology. Yes, it's that good.

"Portico Angel", however, was in a very close second place and, in my opinion, it is the story that most begs to be expanded into a full length novel. Other standouts included "The Bloomsbury Nudes" and Rick Reed's extraordinarily chilling "Sublet".

On the negative side, some of the lesbian offerings were a little too feminist in tone for my taste, but that flaws lies with me and not with the work itself. On the whole though, you will emphatically NOT be sorry to have read this anthology. It's a truly remarkable collection of works.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspeakable Horror.