Chase Smedley's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

U_50x66
May 19, 12

My side of the mountain is a pretty good book. The story in about a boy named Sam Gribley who is one of 9 children who live in a small New York City apartment. Sam becomes unhappy with his current city life and wishes to live out in the mountains by himself. The main reasons he is up set with his city life are that he does not like all of the overly crowded areas which New York is full of. The Second reason is that he enjoys the quiet peace and tranquility that he gets from spending his time by himself up in the mountains. One day same just decides that he is going to leave the city for the mountains so he decides to run away from his home to the Catskill mountains with only forty dollars, an ax and a piece of flint and a piece of steel to make fires. While in the mountains Sam seems to really find himself and become one with nature by hunting for his own food, hollowing out a tree for shelter and even capturing and training a falcon to keep as his pet and to help him hunt.
However while up there Sam starts to become upset with the frequent unexpected visitors some of which included his family. Eventually he is forced by his family to come home however he vows that he will return once he becomes 18 years of age.This book is an interesting story of survival and love of nature. Overall I would say this is a fairly decent book, however I would only recommend it to people who are interested in tales of survival and people who enjoy stories about nature. I think that this book would be best for people ranging from age 12 to 25.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.