Jennifer's Reviews > Blood Kin

2095450
Feb 04, 15

bookshelves: first-reads, 2012, ebook
Read in June, 2012

I received this book free from Goodread's Firstreads program.

Despite my anti-preference for “romance” books, I really enjoyed Blood Kin. Like the first book in the series, Shadow Kin, this installment follows two characters—Guy Du Caine (brother to Simon from the first book) and Holly, a half-Fae spy and thief—as they try to save the city and Holly’s family. As the book is written using the romance formula, the two characters must come to grips with their mutual attraction while they lie, spy, and fight their way to the book’s end.

I think I liked this book a little bit better than the first one. The writing is again very clear, descriptive, and interesting. Scott continues to build her world through this installment and it’s becoming clear that the story is moving toward a major climax (no pun intended), which intrigues me more than one-shot stories. I like Guy and Holly’s character development. Holly’s situation is a lot less abusive than Lily’s, so that makes the book seem a little less dark. There is still quite a bit of relationship angst in the story, but it seems a bit less than in the first book.

I have a personal bias against the romance formula’s requisite relationship angst in my books, in that it seems like inane prattle to me compared to, oh let’s say, SAVING THE WORLD! When you’re running for your life, I just don’t think anyone would be thinking about their partner’s hot glutes. But if that’s your thing, and you like it set in a great Urban Fantasy world, then I can highly recommend this series. I’ll probably check out the next installment myself, despite the angsty bits.

But I’d REALLY love to see what Scott could do with a pure Urban Fantasy. I’ll be waiting, M. J.! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Kin.