Cathy's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jun 13, 2012

bookshelves: dystopian, science-fiction, teen-book, thriller
Read from June 06 to 12, 2012

This reminded me of Uglies in some ways. Here, in a future U.S., though set in Portland, Maine love or amor deliria nervosa, is considered a disease. Lena has only about 9 weeks to go until she will be operated on to remove the ability to love. This renders people emotionally flat, uncreative and robotlike, but she can't wait. Her mother was never "cured" and she comitted suicide, leaving Lena to live with her Aunt Carol. Unsurprisingly, with weeks to go, Lena meets a great guy and falls in love.

The parts about the totalitarian government and the police and others that keep kids from listening to unauthorized music and dancing hanging out together are the most powerful. In many ways though the world making is somewhat deficient, since it seems as though despite all the electric fences and the crypt, teens in love can go to the beaches together and sneak around after curfew. There is even a sentance where Lena is rehearsing for her evaluation and says, in answer to what is her favorite color (?), I like blue, no I love blue or something like it. Later she says she never used the word love.

Nevertheless, I found it to be compelling. I liked Lena, Hannah and Alex and thought they were well developed though most of the others are pretty flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.