Yuko's Reviews > Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon

May 31, 12

bookshelves: art
Read from May 20 to 31, 2012

The author writes 10 rules that he thinks are important to be an artist in this age, which is an age of internet and complexity, and that makes each person have the potential to be an artist.
The rules are quite simple. "Steal like an artist", "Geography is no longer our master", "Creativity is Substruction"... They are simple enough for us to figure out what are the points in one read. In spite of their simplicity, however, we can hardly realize these facts. These are under our very noses.

I'd like to recommend this book to artists who want to overcome a creative block. This book is full of suggestions, so you'll find at least one quote that might be the key to a breakthrough.
I also recommend the book to those who don't know how to behave on the web, and who don't know how to promote themselves as an artist. The author himself is famous in the internet world. He suggests some solutions from his experiences.

What is impressive for me is that the author thinks continuation and ordinary life are essential for artists. He says that we should leave our hometown in order to get inspired, but we should keep our day job, with regular hours, and log books(kind of diaries) there.
I sometimes tend to lose self discipline and motivation, so it should be worth trying. I'll do my creative work as a part of my daily duties and I'll see how it works.

The book is written in easy and plain English, so it's easy to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steal Like an Artist.