SC Skillman's Reviews > Prince William: Born to be King

Prince William by Penny Junor

May 19, 2012

Read from May 19 to 26, 2012

This was a strong portrait of Prince William from what is known of the first 30 years of his life. The ultimate value of this biography of course is constrained by its author's need to maintain her own ongoing relationship with the Royal Family and as such it could not hope to be as interesting as the biographies that will be written several decades hence!

Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading Penny Junor's account of William's life so far, but found the book sometimes annoyingly journalistic in style, and occasionally a rather tedious listing of activities and responsibilities. Penny Junor does reveal some information about the relationship between William's parents which makes us feel Prince Charles was much-wronged. During the lifetime of all the people involved we will probably never read a fully-balanced assessment. The key element to come out of this book is the portrayal of William's character; a young man of integrity, genuine warmth and caring sensitivity, who has been blessed with several periods in his life when he has been able to live a normal life. My sadness for him is that when that freedom stops in the future - when they both move to Kensington Palace - for him and for Catherine, there will be a great sense of loss and an even greater personal challenge.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince William.

01/05 marked as: read