John Maresco's Reviews > Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World

Kino no Tabi by Keiichi Sigsawa

M_50x66
May 29, 12

Before I knew about the book, I had watched the animated show "Kino's Journey". I decided to check out the novel, but wanted to wait some time between seeing the show and reading the book. Each of the book's chapters is a short story about Kino and her talking motorcycle, Hermes, visiting different countries. I was expecting to be a bit bored, since most of the chapters are full episodes. I was surprised to find that the scenes in the book still have the same impact as the show.

While reading I began to notice the differences in the way animated Kino and book Kino are portrayed. Book Kino is more feminine, refers about it more often, and starts with her origin story. Animated Kino remained more androgynous, spoke like a boy, and revealed her origin later on. The biggest difference seemed to be in the outcome of "Country of Majority Rule". Kino is very capable of defending herself, but I always thought the animated version was a bit sadistic in that situation.

Hermes is a fun character in both versions, but the book makes it more apparent that other people can hear him. Whether the motorcycle can talk or Kino just imagines it was one of the more intriguing parts that always kept me wondering in the show.

Some of the word choices in the book seemed a bit weird, though that has just motivated me to check out the rest of the series myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kino no Tabi.