Julesmarie's Reviews > Thief

Thief by Ava March

May 19, 12

bookshelves: m-m, historical-fiction, comfort-reads
Read in May, 2012

Probably the sweetest historical m/m I've read yet. The characters are endearing and well-written. I loved that they both consistently had the other's best interest in mind. Whether they would agree on what was in their best interest, however, is what drove the story, and I found it very well done.

I thoroughly enjoy books like this, where there is no outside threat or menace introduced as the conflict. Where instead the relationship and its formation becomes the "conflict." Mostly because I love getting to spend as much time as possible with the characters I enjoy, and in this sort of story, that means that the characters are together much more often.

Cavin (one of my few negatives about the book is his name... I kept struggling over how to pronounce it) was adorable and so sweet, and I loved that Benjamin recognized his constant insistence on putting everyone else's needs before his own and that Cavin needed someone to make sure his own needs were being met. I loved how kind Cavin was, in spite of the life he'd had growing up, and how well he took care of Benjamin initially.

I also adored Benjamin and his courage in making the decisions he did and in realizing that Cavin was special. I loved his balance of pride and humility. And I appreciated his generosity, both with physical things like money and food and employment, and with more ephemeral things like overlooking class boundaries, believing people can change, and giving second chances.

A beautiful story with lovely characters. I am very much looking forward to the next books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief.