Lauren's Reviews > The Confessions of Max Tivoli

The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer

6371997
May 22, 12

bookshelves: meh

I'm not really sure if I liked this. I'm leaning towards no, I didn't.. It's just utterly boring. The main piece of the story, the romance between Max and Alice is, at best, shallow and, at worst, downright creepy and unhealthy. Max is totally selfish and obsessive towards her, to the point it's not cute, 'special' or loves young dream, it bordered on being sick. How desperate does someone have to be so obsessively jealous that they corner their spouse because they spoke to a member of the opposite sex. Max does nothing other than fawn over her, he is the 1930s version of a nice guy, a guy putting his wife on a pedestal and then blaming her when she's human enough to fall off.

I just cannot feel sympathy for Max. He's self centered enough to continuously follow Alice everywhere, constantly putting himself in her life and then, towards the end, hurting her beyond any level of logic and sympathy. There comes a point where you have to let go and stop being such a stalker. Max crossed every boundary and did nothing other than irritate the hell out of me.

The purple prose was a bit heavy, as well. I think the author slightly over judged his own limits and it became quite cringe worthy. I don't think he could have made the opening paragraphs more over written and 'woe is me'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Max Tivoli.