Pooker's Reviews > The Juliet Stories

The Juliet Stories by Carrie Snyder

May 19, 2012

bookshelves: currently-reading, canada, fiction, short-stories

May 23, 2012:

About halfway through, just into Part 2 - My thoughts so far:

I loved Hair Hat. I didn't want not to love The Juliet Stories, but I have to admit that I did start reading with some trepidation. Everything I know about Nicaragua has not come from history books or news reports. I hated history in school, dropped it in grade nine and have never paid any attention (at least that I can recall) to Nicaragua in the news. Everything I know about Nicaragua, I have learned from Nicaraguans or, more accurately, former Nicaraguans. Most of those former Nicaraguans tell me they cannot return because if they do they will be killed. Some of those former Nicaraguans were sent to Canada as children for their own safety and they have told me that their parents (or other family members) are now missing and presumed dead. As a result, I could not help but wonder, "What parent in their right mind takes their children to Nicaragua?"

Halfway through the book, I can understand why Bram, Juliet's father would go - he's committed to his cause - but why take the whole family? Bram mostly abandons his wife and children to fend for themselves.

But all right, clearly I have to accept that Gloria and Bram, who work for a Christian peacekeeping organization, have decided this is the thing to do. Really, when I think about it, there have been and are scads of "do-gooder" parents who make the same sorts of decisions all the time. Maybe they want to give their children a great mind-expanding experience learning about other cultures. Maybe they assume (or want to ensure)that their children will become wonderful do-gooders just like themselves. Or maybe they are totally careless and neglectful of the effects of their decisions on their children.

Juliet is 10 years old when her family moves to Nicaragua.

---to be continued---

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Juliet Stories.