Sheila 's Reviews > The Mosaic of the Broken Soul

The Mosaic of the Broken Soul by Branka Cubrilo

May 19, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish

I could not bring myself to finish this. In my opinion, it was just metaphorical mumbo jumbo.

The author seemed to be trying way too hard with the impressionistic language, and having Her and She be names (and always capitalized) just didn't cut it for my tastes. "I read a book of kindness and rewrote it then. A long time ago I wanted to suggest kindness to serve as glue for broken fragments, but She would refuse it as nonsense, for She did not trust it was strong enough to hold."

I have no desire to finish this, or to try and make sense of what any of it is actually talking about, or what is really happening. The book did not grab me at all, so I am leaving it behind for other reads.

And for those who might be considering this book, I would recommend you check out the free sample you can get on kindle, just to see if the writing is to your taste, or not. For me, it was definitely a not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mosaic of the Broken Soul.

message 1: by Gertie (last edited May 20, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Gertie Same here Sheila. I read part of the free sample and just could not get into it... the word "impressionistic" is a great way to describe the writing approach. I can see how that could really work, but in this case the capitalized pronouns were distracting - I am guessing they could serve some purpose later in the story re: the fracturing of her soul, but I would have preferred that to be handled differently.

Plus, truthfully, after seeing attacks of anyone who says anything negative about this book, I am myself feeling pretty nagative about the author's entourage (and therefore the author herself). Could never buy a book supported by such ugliness.

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] Socks, you do realise that by posting comments against reviews you don't like, you're bumping the stats of the negative reviews too, right? :)