Cindi's Reviews > The Telling

The Telling by Eden Winters

May 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, m-m, series, free
Read on May 19, 2012

Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows that I am hesitant to read anything based in the south, especially Alabama as it is the state I live in (born and raised). Very rarely does an author get the dialogue right. One of my biggest pet peeves is southern speak. As I have said many MANY times, it's fine to hear it but not to see it in a book because it comes across as making the characters look stupid. Thankfully that is not the case in this book. The author may have based the story in a small Alabama town but in no way did she make us seem slow or backwards.

With that being said, I will say that I seriously enjoyed this book. Michael is back in his small Alabama hometown after recently being discharged from the military after experiencing a tragic experience in Iraq. The experience left him with PTSD that leaves him terrified of open spaces and with some hearing loss. His sister picks him up from the airport and takes her back to her place where he meets Jay as well as a host of other characters. There is instant attraction between Michael and Jay though no one knows that Michael is gay. He has only recently admitted it to himself. It was a pleasure watching Michael and Jay find their way together. Jay is the ultimate character. Michael suffers panic attacks as a result of his PTSD and Jay is calm and supportive and helps him through them. It doesn't take long for the two of them to get together and the relationship happens rather quickly but it did not seem rushed to me at all.

The secondary characters were also good though the sister got rather annoying at times because she treated Michael more like a child than the adult that he is. I loved their mother. I was expecting some homophobia especially considering the setting of the book. There was some (mainly by one individual) but the book wasn't completely saturated with it. There are a few scenes that got me a little teary as was expected considering the subject.

Overall a really good story. Thanks to the author for offering this free. I look forward to reading the second one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Telling.

05/19/2012

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden Winters While I love a good southern drawl that could melt ice, I use dialect sparingly, though I did add some to Settling the Score. I'm a southern girl, born and raised, too! Glad you enjoyed Michael and Jay's story. Night Watch picks up a year later.

Cindi Eden wrote: "While I love a good southern drawl that could melt ice, I use dialect sparingly, though I did add some to Settling the Score. I'm a southern girl, born and raised, too! Glad you enjoyed Michael and..."

Thanks, Eden. I have read so many books where they are written like the Hee Haw version of Gone With The Wind. Being southern yourself, I'm sure you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I don't mind a little southern speak as long as it is written well. An occasional "y'all" is fine (and expected) but when the characters are written as uneducated rednecks then I have a problem. As soon as I get my last kid graduated (in 2 days!) I hope to read Night Watch. I hated not jumping right into it (as I normally would have) but life got in the way. Oh and I am so with you... I totally love a good southern drawl.... I am lucky enough to be able to hear that every day in my neck of the woods. :)

message 1: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden Winters Congratulations on the graduation! Take lots of pictures!!