Annie's Reviews > Tuesday's Gone

Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French

May 27, 12

Read from May 26 to 27, 2012

I’ve long been a big fan of the Nicci French writing partnership – they were writing psychological thrillers long before their current popularity, good stories well told with strong female lead characters (my particular favourites are Killing Me Softly, Beneath the Skin and the wonderful Secret Smile). But I was disappointed in the last two or three before this series started. Psychotherapist Dr Frieda Klein has given them a new and original angle, and this series is shaping up really nicely – I enjoyed the first, Blue Monday, but found this one even more gripping.

The discovery of a naked man’s body, gripping a cream bun and with a cup of tea at his feet, in the flat of a mental patient is a striking start. The discovery that he is a con man with a large number of impacted people gives this book an amazing cast of characters, all well drawn and with their own secrets. Add to that the evolving story of the complex character of Frieda and her family and friends, and the policeman Karlsson with his equally human back story, and this is a very good read indeed. Blue Monday finished on a slightly ambiguous note, and the untied ends of that story flow through this book too.

I’d urge everyone to read this series in order – if you don’t, you’ll be missing a lot in terms of character development and those continuing themes – the small amount of recapping here doesn’t really give you it all. The story is well-paced and involving, and none the worse for the small amount of serendipity in its resolution. Highly recommended, I haven’t been so impressed by a series since Peter James’ Roy Grace books, and I can’t wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday's Gone.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary You've persuaded me Annie, I've got to read this series. Thank you for a great review. Mxx

Lisa (scarlet21) Just read and cracking on with Wednesday!

Annie So glad to see you're enjoying them Lisa - I'll remember you when it's finally Thursday!x

Lisa (scarlet21) I was checking to see when Wednesday was published - it seems not long ago :( Might have a wait!

Annie Sadly yes - that was an advance release copy of the Wednesday one!