Tami (synchro from BL)'s Reviews > My Fair Captain

My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley

May 21, 12

bookshelves: what-a-mistake
Read from May 19 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Normally I don't like to give bad reviews, but I really didn't find much to like in this one.

I didn't like the setting much (genetical altering to produce only male and homosexual offspring - that was too much for me).
And I didn't like the love story, because it was love based on physical beauty and not much more. I couldn't see any development of character or any progress in the relationship.

And the whole "virginal" thing bothered me also: why should in any sane society be there a rule that young, gay men need to stay untouched until they marry??? One of the MCs asked exactly this question, because on his homeworld it is the young ladies (Regency-Style), which makes some sense in regards to making sure that the child born afterwards is really the biological child of the husband. The answer he is given is: Tradition. It has always been like this.
And that is only one of the totally unlogical things.
I did expect some inconsistency (it is a sci-fi regency after all ;-)), but it was just not a good story.
The crime/spy storyline was also rather boring. And the HEA ended with a rather hard core sex scene. All in all it was disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fair Captain.

05/19/2012 page 61
20.0% "I don't like it much so far. Genetical engineering to have male and homosexual offspring - that's a little too much for me (the engineering thing, not the gay part). Hopefully it will get better, when I read on - I still have to overcome all these inconsistencies with the society rules and strange philosophy on which these worlds are based (e.g. the chaperone thing for young lords)."