Nathan's Reviews > Telegraph Avenue

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

Sep 30, 2012

it was ok
Read from May 19 to July 05, 2012

This book drove me a little nuts. It's plot is overstuffed making the whole thing much too long. That wouldn't be such a bad thing if the language didn't irritate me so much. Chabon tries to be both hip and smart, while dealing with characters who seem to be lacking in both. I felt too often that I was reading an Elmore Leonard book written towards the Ivy League set. Elmore Leonard at least knows how to plot. The plot lacks punch and swiftness and I felt myself caring less and less as the book went along. It just ended up not being my bag.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telegraph Avenue.

05/19
02/06 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-13 of 13) </span> <span class="smallText">(13 new)</span>

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you read a review copy or something? This isn't even out yet.

Mark Ge yeah I wonder the same thing.

Nathan Yes. I had a review copy. I'm a librarian and I am sent review copies as well as digital review files to consider for purchase as well as to foster word-of-mouth recommendations. This was a digital review., I like Chabon's past work and immediately began trudging through this over the span of a month and a half as soon as i received it.

message 4: by Zack (new) - rated it 1 star

Zack man i agree. Though it does have some rare moments of beautiful groovy prose, but they are far and often buried in between torturous ramblings and nauseous plot confuspings.

message 5: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Dito You pretty much hit it on the head for me. So many people love Chabon but I always feel like he never gets to the damn point. His style is a bit flowery for me.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike There's a adage about how writers should often throw out their first paragraph because after that the story really begins. For those who managed to get to chapter two, I hope it was worth it.

message 7: by Zack (new) - rated it 1 star

Zack first page, and first chapter were excellent. . . downhill from their. What kills me is that the library copy i had borrowed got damaged and now i have to pay for a book i hate........ :P :X

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I'm waiting for something to happen in this book. Just when I think something is about to happen, Chabon goes off into something else. My epub edition is 424 pages. Please tell me I am not wasting my time. If there is a better example of Chabon's work, please, let me know what that is.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim I agree, the description does sound... overstuffed, enough to make me not want to read it.

Jennifer Flygare There's some great language in the book, but overall, I think your description of Chabon trying to be both hip and smart is spot on.

message 11: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette Lyons Your review is accurate. I feel like I invested too much time and I'm glad to be done with it. Some moments of greatness, but it went on too long.

message 12: by Carly (new) - added it

Carly Svamvour Yeah - I hear ya'. Our book club's doing this book for the month of August and I'm about to scream in frustration.

I've been wondering just what it is that's bothering me about this book and you have put it in a nutshell.

Just plain overwritten? Maybe - Elmore Leonard writing toward the Ivy League set - rotflol!

Thanks for making me feel better. Thought there was something wrong with me, to be finding this read a chore.

Cindy Light your review nailed it. I can't get myself to finish the darn thing.