Cathy's Reviews > Knee Deep

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

F 50x66
May 21, 2012

Read from May 19 to 21, 2012

Amazing, captivating, and heartbreaking. This book had all those qualities and so much more. The second I picked it up I did not want to put it down, I could not put it down. The characters were relate able, the story was intriguing and emotional, very raw. The moral behind the story is so truthful and honest and is something that every person (not just females) should pay attention to. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it. Now on to the story.

We meet Ronnie who has been in love with Shawn for as long as she can remember. They were friends when they were very young but he moved away for a while and when he returned they returned to their growing relationship. Ronnie felt as if there was no one else for her, he was her forever. But finding your forever in high school is not something normal to begin with.

Every year her and her best friend Mindy come up with a list of firsts that they will accomplish, this year she chose trying out for the play, which she gets the part of Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. Her other best friend Luke is playing Romeo. This of course leads to more complications in her relationship with Shawn as he has become unbelievably jealous and controlling. More so than usual. He suspects something is going on with Ronnie and Luke.

Ronnie is conflicted as she's known them both the majority of her life and Luke has always been there for her, even when Shawn left, but this realization doesn't come to her until the end. As their roles as Romeo and Juliet become more blurred where it feels more like Ronnie and Luke than the characters they are playing.

Shawn's life becomes a downward spiral and he becomes more stressed and with this he starts to take his frustrations out on Ronnie, beginning with just a bruised wrist and getting more serious. Ronnie being the loyal person she is and believing that he is her forever deals with it the best way she can. She covers for him, hides her bruises and distances herself from other people. But Luke is very observant and knows that something is wrong and he doesn't approve. He saves Ronnie several times from getting seriously hurt further than she has

There is so much that happens throughout this book and I believe every woman/girl needs to read it, know that if something is not right then you need to speak to someone. You cannot always handle everything yourself. Sometimes it's beyond you and you should never let someone make you feel that abuse is the normal thing. There are relationships that work the correct way, and there is always someone else out there for you. You do not belong to only one person. We are not something to be possessed or obsessed about in an unhealthy way.

Jolene B. Perry is an amazing author, ever book I read of hers is more and more intense and I honestly believe that I would read anything she writes. She's just simply amazing, and I thank her for this great story. The rawness and realness of it all is eye opening.

Please go out and buy this book and read it, re read it, give it to other people. It will be worth it. Remember you are not alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.