Marie's Reviews > Insanity

Insanity by Lauren Hammond

May 19, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars, favorites, most-anticipated, must-haves, mind-boggling, romantic, shocking, sad, all-time-favourites
Read on April 08, 2013

This book left me in a blubbering mess by the end. Felt like I belonged in that mental institution with the way I was rocking back and forth sobbing like a baby.

It took me through such an emotional turmoil I don't know whether my heart was breaking or if it had just stopped.
I held the book for about an hour reading the last few pages over and over again. I just couldn't wrap my head around what I just read and my mind wasn't in the right state to comprehend that ending.
I went through being hopeful, to angry, to sad, to depressed until finally I was grieving. Grieving for the boy we only knew in a past tense.
This book was beautifully written and you can tell it was written with such raw emotion that I have never in all the hundreds of books I have read have ever witnessed in one book.
I have never been so emotional in my life. I felt like I was there in the book.
From the first page it had me enthralled and I believed from the beginning that Adelaide was just a normal person stuck in a place where she doesn't belong.
I admired her strength and courage she showed, her determination to get back to her soulmate. To her life.
To wake up in a place with no memory and where horrific things happen everyday I would eventually go insane. But she remains strong.
And then Damien.. How my heart flutters at how sweet and loveable he truly is. To follow a girl into a mental institution believing that that is where his heart is even though he should forget about her and adhere to his parents wishes. He has everything-money, parents, a place at Yale.
And then there's Dr Watson who we struggle to understand why he cares, and why he wants to help her and get her out of there.
The ending threw me for six.
It all happened with that one line Adelaide lying on the bed And dr Watson comes in and says get your hands off of my..
And that's where everything begins to make sense even though I had to read it 10000000 times so I would believe what I had read.
She picks up that picture in his office of his wife and baby and in the end..
Im still trying to wrap my head around the latest events!
I've never been so heartbroken and touched by a book in my life and I'm still in berievment after a whole day and a half. I finally sucked up and wrote this review even though my minds swirling with thoughts and questions.
Like why did Dr Watson allow her to be treated and left in that godforsaken place? Why hadn't he tried and helped her before? What happened to her to be taken there? Why happened after the day where he got shot and between then and her marriage?
I just don't know.
However this book was so damn good? Beautiful? Horrifying? Sad? So bad and so good, I don't have enough or know the right words to describe this read.
I'm going to re read it again and again and again and No-one will be able to relate to this review and understand my unhealthy infatuation with this book unless they pick it up and for god sake read it!!
It's brilliant and 5 stars ain't enough!
This author deserves all the praise she can get. The amount of time and work and effort thr has been put into this really does show. And I commend you for allowing us to read this beautiful and definitely emotional book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insanity.

Sylvia Oh WOW!!

Marie I know! I can't believe that I nearly didn't read this because people said it was for adults, I'm 17 and I loved it!

Julie Kelly Thank you for this review Marie! Now I'm super eccired to download and read this book. :) Julir

Minnie hey thanks for this book recommendation, ill be sure to check it out soon as I'm done with the Mortal Instruments series (P.S I'm 17 too!)

message 5: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Marie Francis! Thanks for the rec too!

Quinn Thanks for the rec, Marie

Marie No problem guys. Any of you had a chance to red it yet?

Julie Kelly YES!!! It is awesome. Read white walls too! Can not wait for the next book!!!

Jennifer I just finished this book this morning. It was quite good. The really threw me off. I guess now I know why Dr. Watson was so invested in Addy.

Marie IK this is one of the most twisted endings I've ever read. I've never been so blind to an ending, usually I know at least some of what's about to happen and sometimes you can even guess how it's going to end.
So, unpredictable.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Great review Marie!!! I loved this book:) I was a total mess during and after reading this....

Jody amazing and heartbreaking, one of the best book series Ive read for sure

Marie Yeah me too!:)

message 14: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve So heartbreaking. God, Damien! :'(

Alejandra Quezada I love your review and I totally agree with you this is a beautiful and definitely emotional book.

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Great review!! I couldn't agree more! I wasn't expecting much when I first grabbed, but then when I read it it blew my mind. Your review said everything I was thinking about!

message 17: by Zsa (new)

Zsa I'm putting this on hold at the library. I am dying to get my hands on this, and the fact that the cover is Heaven? *falls off chair* And I really want to read book 2.

EDIT: I feel like crying miserably right now. Insanity isn't available in any of my libraries.

message 18: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Shaw I read this yesterday. Gosh, I stayed an hour sobbing like a child.

Marie De'Zsa have you still not read it? It's definitely worth the buy mind!

Yup this book will have you doing that. As will book 2 and most probably book 3.

message 20: by ~JustMel~ (new) - added it

~JustMel~ Oh man... I definitely have to read this after a review like that!!