Bethany's Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

May 19, 12

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, realistic-fiction, stand-alone-novels
Recommended for: Lovers of Sarah Dessen type literature
Read on May 19, 2012

I received an arc of this novel from Netgalley.

I'd only read one book from Keary Taylor and that was Eden, which was nothing like What I Didn't Say.

I really enjoyed this novel. It follows Jake, a senior in high school who gets into a car accident with some friends after a night of drinking. Jake is badly injured in the crash and as a result, loses his ability to speak. Jake must now learn to live as a mute. As he struggles with his new condition, he slowly integrates himself back into school and the life he almost lost.

Jake regrets drinking that night, he regrets a lot of things. Mostly, Jake regrets what he didn't say to Samantha Shay, the girl he has loved secretly for years. Now Jake can't speak, so how can he ever say those words to her. As time goes on, Sam and Jake begin to spend time together and feelings grow. But, between Jake's struggles with self-loathing and Sam's disbelief in love, how can this relationship prevail in the end.

What I Didn't Say was a beautifully written novel and an engaging story. The characters were likable and the romance was sweet. I really enjoyed the male POV, don't get many of those. I loved the message of family and community. I loved that Jake's eyes were opened through this expirience and he gained clarity. Sam's story was interesting, though not entirely believable. But that was okay. Overall, I absolutely adored this book and would definitely recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.