Aimee's Reviews > Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale

May 21, 12

Read from May 18 to 21, 2012

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace tells the story of Isabella Robinson. Isabella is married to Henry, a cold and strict man who is not home often. Isabella is left to take care of their home and children most often alone and she finds her life dull and passionless. She writes a diary of her restlessness and for her desire for another man. The other man is Dr. Edward Lane who is married and has children. The diary tells of Isabella's hopes, desires, fantasies, and the lack of feeling she has for her own husband. Henry finds the diary, becomes enraged and files for a divorce, which has just become legal in England during this time. The book gives a detailed look at the contents of the diary and the legal battle that ensued over it.

This book is a detailed look at a woman in the Victorian age who is unhappy in her marriage and looking for an escape. The book talks of the roles of women at this time and how they lived with so little power or say in their own lives. While I found the information given interesting, this just was not an exciting read for me. There was so much information given on different topics relevant to the time that I found myself skimming through some of the parts.

I felt bad for Isabella and the situation she found herself in, but I did not think she was very likable. I thought she was rather selfish and seemed to be constantly looking for male attention. I did not agree with the choices she made, but I could see her reasons based on the details we were given of the life she had with her husband.

This was just an ok read for me but I could see someone more interested in the subject or the Victorian Era enjoying it more than I did. It is a solidly researched book with lots of information about the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce Just put a hold on this book at the library.

message 2: by Neida (new)

Neida Awesome review. Sounds like an interesting story, but I have too many books to read right now that I MUST read. It's still interesting enough to me to put it in my "maybe-sometime" pile :)