Poppy's Reviews > Psmith, Journalist

Psmith, Journalist by P.G. Wodehouse

Sep 19, 08

bookshelves: audiobook

A follow-up to Psmith in the City, Psmith Journalist takes place in New York, where after a chance meeting with the acting editor of a sentimental weekly magazine, Psmith takes over and promptly begins crusading against tenement housing.

Psmith and Uncle Fred are my favorite Wodehouse characters. Frankly, a bit more Psmith and a bit less of this Bertie Wooster person would have suited me right down to the ground. Not that I mean to offend anyone's religious beliefs or anything like that.

Speaking of offense, the book was published in 1915, and the language and ethnic stereotypes are offensive (although of great interest to a scholar of the period and/or nerd like me.)

A note about the edition: I downloaded Jonathan Cecil's rendition from Audible, and it was a treat to hear him doing a wide variety of American accents. However, the sound quality was pretty bad; it sounded as if it had been transferred from the cassettes that were published in the 1990s.

The Overlook Press version is due to be published in November, 2008; I'm definitely to add it to my collection. (I did mention that I'm a nerd, right?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psmith, Journalist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Allie "Frankly, a bit more Psmith and a bit less of this Bertie Wooster person would have suited me right down to the ground. Not that I mean to offend anyone's religious beliefs or anything like that."

I lol'd.

(And, yes, you did insult my religious beliefs, seeing as Bertie Wooster is my all-time favorite Wodehouse character, but eh, Psmith needs his fans, too. As long as we're all united by the bonds of mutual Wodehouse geekism, what?)

Poppy Absolutely! And let us never forget the wonder that is Ukridge, old horse.