Cody's Reviews > Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

Nov 08, 08

bookshelves: religion
Read in November, 2008

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book. It is the story of a young girl growing up in the polygamous FLDS faith. Married at age 14 under duress she suffered much as a very young and naive bride. She eventually left the marriage and was instrumental in getting Warren Jeffs, the then prophet, sent to prison.

I have to admit that the more I read the more I enjoyed learning about her perspectives concerning the FLDS. I was appalled at the control that Warren Jeffs asserted over the FLDS. His misuse of power was rather alarming. Families were literally broken up and given to other men at his command. Elissa Wall tells her story and how she was able to finally break away from the religion that she had grown up in. Considering the fundamentalist swing of the FLDS and the control that was imposed on the women of this faith, it was not an easy task for her to leave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Innocence.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler This looks like a potentially distressing read. I'll be interested in hearing how you like it when you are through.

Cody I am about half way through the book and you are correct it is somewhat distressing and I have been told that the last half is even more disturbing. It is an interesting read so far and does present some insights that are very alarming. Fundamentalist power can indeed become a very dangerous thing.