William Winkle's Reviews > Bloodline

Bloodline by James Rollins

May 18, 2012

Read from August 20 to September 04, 2012

If you're a Rollins fan, this is a five-star adventure book. He strikes an excellent balance between developing the light-but-passable characterizations of his elite Sigma group, digging into the science of genetics-based longevity, and blazing through made-for-IMAX action sequences. In my opinion, this may have been the best of the Sigma series yet. I thought the only shortcoming was that I wanted to know more about Tucker and Kane, the two new temporary additions to Sigma, especially in how they learned to work so closely together. But I suppose that would have upset the book's pacing and the fairly even distribution of time between the main point of view characters.

I give Bloodline four stars because, on the grand scale of novels, it's great entertainment but not really immortal literature. It's the Lindor truffle in a sea of Hershey's and Cadbury...but it's not the $10 mousse cube from the city's finest chef that dazzles your tongue, melts your brain, and has you describing it to offspring 20 years hence. Admire Bloodline for the fun it is. I sure did, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodline.